In this sectionUSA & Canada Border CrossingUSA & Mexico Border Crossing

Travel into Canada

Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act

The Canadian Government recommends you travel with a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including to the United States, but will accept these ID documents at the boarder.

  • Valid Canadian passport
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • Permanent residence card
  • Citizenship card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card or valid Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card
  • Nexus Card

Non-Canadian citizens

  • Valid Passport with valid Visa (if necessary)
  • Nexus Card (only for U.S. citizens) 

Please note: When arriving at a Canadian port of entry, all travelers must present proof to a CBSA border services officer (BSO), that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. More information on Boarder Crossing to Canada can be found here.


What happens at the border:

When you reach the Canadian border, all passengers need to get off the bus and collect all their belongings, including checked baggage. All unclaimed baggage will be removed by Canadian officials. You’ll be asked by immigration what the reason is for your trip, and they may want to inspect your baggage. Then, you can return your bags to be loaded onto the bus and continue to your Canadian destination.


Children travelling to Canada:

Children travelling into Canada will need proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate. Those under 15 must be accompanied by an adult. If a child is traveling with only one parent, they need to have a letter from the other parent giving consent for them to cross the border. (There's no official format for this, just a letter with the other parent's name, contact details and signature.)

Bringing food into Canada:

By law, you have to declare all plant, animal and food items you bring into Canada. There are restrictions on some food items, depending on the province you’re travelling to, and these rules can change at any time. For the latest information, visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.


Travel into the U.S.A.

U.S. citizens and permanent residents

  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Valid Green Card with Passport
  • Enhanced Driver's Licenses
  • Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC)
  • NEXUS Card
  • Military Identification Card with letter of orders

Non-U.S. citizens

  • Valid Passport with a valid Visa or ESTA under the VWP

All Visa Waiver Program (VWP) travelers intending to enter the United States by land will be required to obtain an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to application for admission at land border ports of entry.

CBP encourages all travelers to apply for a travel authorization at least 72 hours in advance of their anticipated arrival at a U.S. land port of entry, to be sure that it will be provided. The application can be treated on a faster basis, but is encouraged to apply ahead to be sure to have all documents at hand. You can apply for ESTA here

What happens at the border:

When you reach the U.S. border, all passengers need to get off the bus and collect all their belongings, including checked baggage. You and your baggage will then pass through security (just like at the airport). All unclaimed baggage will be removed by U.S. officials.


Children travelling into the U.S.:

Children travelling into the U.S. will need proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. Under U.S. law, children under 16 aren't allowed to travel into the U.S. without an adult.


Bringing food into the U.S.:

There are some restrictions on agricultural products you can bring into the U.S. from certain countries. This is because they may carry pests or foreign animal diseases that may threaten U.S. crop production and livestock. To see what foods you can and can’t bring into the U.S., please visit U.S. Customs and Border Protection.


Still have a question?

Just drop us a line here. Our expert team will get back to you.

Related shortcuts

Find boarding information