USA & Canada Border Crossing

In this sectionWinter weather December 2022 - North AmericaCOVID-19: Bus Company Travel Updates and Safety MeasuresUSA & Canada Border CrossingCOVID-19: Travel Advice

Travel to Canada

Identification Documents

Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act

The Canadian Government recommends you travel with a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including to the United States, but will accept these ID documents at the boarder.

  • Valid Canadian passport
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • Permanent residence card
  • Citizenship card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card or valid Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card
  • Nexus Card

Non-Canadian citizens

  • Valid Passport with valid Visa (if necessary)
  • Nexus Card (only for U.S. citizens) 

Covid-19 Travel Requirements

Effective October 1, 2022, all travelers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:

  • submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
  • provide proof of vaccination;
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.


Please note: When arriving at a Canadian port of entry, all travelers must present proof to a CBSA border services officer (BSO), that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. More information on Boarder Crossing to Canada can be found here.


Travel to the U.S.A.

U.S. citizens and permanent residents

  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Valid Green Card with Passport
  • Enhanced Driver's Licenses
  • Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC)
  • NEXUS Card
  • Military Identification Card with letter of orders

Non-U.S. citizens

  • Valid Passport with a valid Visa or ESTA under the VWP

All Visa Waiver Program (VWP) travelers intending to enter the United States by land will be required to obtain an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to application for admission at land border ports of entry.

CBP encourages all travelers to apply for a travel authorization at least 72 hours in advance of their anticipated arrival at a U.S. land port of entry, to be sure that it will be provided. The application can be treated on a faster basis, but is encouraged to apply ahead to be sure to have all documents at hand. You can apply for ESTA here

Covid-19 Travel Requirements

Due to Covid-19, the U.S. Government has several additional requirements you must fulfill in order to be allowed entry into the U.S.A. 

  • US residents, nationals or green cardholders will be allowed access to the United States without
    proof of vaccination.
  • Canadian and Foreign citizens are required to produce their proof of vaccination along with a
    valid passport or NEXUS card.

You can receive more information from the CDC regarding International travel here.


Still have a question?

Just drop us a line here. Our expert team will get back to you.

Happy travels!