What is Greyhound's luggage policy?
- One (1) small bag up to 25 lbs (11 kg) can be taken on board for each adult or child.
- Carry-on bags must fit in the overhead compartment or under your seat.
- One (1) piece of baggage is checked free of charge for adults and children.
- One (1) additional piece of baggage may be checked for a charge of $15 for adults only.
- Baggage carried beyond two (2) pieces will be charged based on Greyhound Package Express rates. See rates here.
Checked baggage dimensions
- Maximum weight for checked baggage is 50 pounds (22.5 kg) per individual piece of baggage.
- A charge of $15 will be charged for any baggage above the 50 lbs limit.
- Baggage must not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when adding the total exterior dimensions of the piece (length + width + height).
- A charge of $15 (depending on the distance traveled) will be applied to any baggage above the 62-inch limit.
- If bags exceed maximum size and/or weight, customers must ship the item via Greyhound Package Express.
Sports and towing equipment
- Bicycles, skis and ski poles must be packed in wood, canvas or other substantial container, and securely fastened
- Towing equipment must be enclosed in rigid containers or wrapped in a strong material such as canvas and securely strapped or tied.
- Towing equipment is limited to 100 lbs of actual weight.
- These items are not exempt from oversize charges.
Pets are not allowed - only service animals are
Pets are not allowed on Greyhound buses. However, a properly documented and certified service animal, trained for the purpose of accompanying a disabled person, will be permitted to travel with the disabled person at no additional charge.
Can I bring over-sized luggage with me on the bus ?
Yes you can!
As long as there is room under the bus, oversized luggage is allowed on Greyhound buses for an extra fee. The fee varies depending on the size of your luggage and will be paid directly at the bus station upon checking in the bus.
Greyhound defines "oversized" as any baggage over 62 inches (157 cm) when you add together length, width and height.
Please note that bicycles, golf clubs, skis and ski poles must be packed in a wood, canvas or other substantial container, and securely fastened.